Wednesday 15 July 2009

Federer has fulfilled his dream to win French Open

Roger Federer pleased with his dream of attaining a career grand slam on Sunday, beating Robin Soderling in straight sets in the 2009 French Open final.

The 6-1, 7-6, 6-4 conquest also saw Federer draw level with Pete Sampras' record of 14 grand slam titles. Many will rate Federer’s success as the more remarkable, given that Sampras never handled to win the French Open during his career.

The match saw a strong-minded Federer control Soderling from start to finish, putting in a performance significant of his complete defeat of Andy Murray in the final of the 2008 US Open. Federer moved Soderling around the court at will, and used the drop shot to overwhelming effect.

"It was probably my greatest ever victory, I was under big pressure. But I did it and it's phenomenal," Federer said to the crowd before claiming the French Open trophy. "I think that now and until the end of my career, I can really play with my mind at peace and no longer hear that I've never won Roland Garros."

With Rafael Nadal’s contribution in the Wimbledon Open Championships in uncertainty Roger Federer will have an outstanding chance to set the record for most grand slam conquests in London next month

No comments:

Post a Comment